Thursday, December 23, 2010

Caramelized Onion, Butternut Squash & Chestnut Casserole



It's Christmas Eve Eve, and if you are still struggling with your Holiday menu for this year, might I suggest another delicious gem from Veganomicon?

This festive little casserole is hearty and filling, so it's enough as a main dish (which is how we ate it on Sunday night). However, if you are looking for something to accompany that Christmas seitan roast it makes a great side dish too. Although it takes some time to get from ingredients to finished casserole, most of this time is hands-off baking time.

Prior to making this meal, I'd never worked with chestnuts before and I'm not too vain to admit that I cheated and bought the pre-peeled, pre-roasted kind, like these.



I was a little bit concerned about roasting already roasted chestnuts, but it was unwarranted. Because I've never cooked with raw chestnuts, I don't know any better with regards to the texture of the finished product. And while they were mushy (I think chestnuts are supposed to be mushy anyway?), it gave an earthy, meaty quality to the casserole.



For those of you who don't have a copy of Veganomicon, here is a link to the recipe.

Finally, I'd just like to take a minute to wish all of you the very best of the season - health and happiness to you and yours from all of us here at This is Vegan!



Mary - The Blogger
Paul - The Taste Tester
Dora - The Floor-Scrap Sampler

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails